First, let’s start with the pasta. I could eat this pasta for days. I did eat this pasta for days – and loved every cheesy, meaty, saucy bite of it. Not only is it cheesy, but its creamy, seasoned to perfection and is going to have you craving its comfortliciousness endlessly.
While pasta is already a relatively quick and easy dinner, we are able to eliminate two extra pots and infuse the pasta with tons of flavor by simmering everything right in the same skillet.
First, brown your beef with onions and carrots then stir in your bell pepper and garlic.
Stir in crushed tomatoes, fire roasted tomatoes, tomato paste, and your Italian seasonings and bring to a simmer. Simmer gently uncovered for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
After 10 minutes and your ragu flavors have melded, stir in the water and pasta…
And simmer an additional 12-ish minutes or until your pasta is al dente and has soaked up the seasoned water.
Stir in the cream, Parmesan, and cheddar – mmmmmmm……
Top with mozzarella and broil just until the cheese is melted and golden.
And you have ooey, gooey, saucy One Skilley Cheesy Penne all under 30 minutes and all in one dish!
Another bonus of this One Skillet Cheesy Penne is that it makes wonderful leftovers – I think the flavors are even better the next day as I could not stop craving it, eating it, loving every bite of it.
To go along with our One Skillet Cheesy Penne, we need an equally delicious garlic bread.
One Pot Delicious Cheesy Beef Penne Pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound lean ground beef (may use 1/2 sausage)
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 yellow onion (diced)
- 2 medium carrots (peeled and thinly sliced)
- 1 red bell pepper (chopped)
- 6-8 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes in puree
- 1 15 oz. can fire roasted tomatoes with seasonings (drained)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 1/2 tsp EACH chicken bouillon (sugar, dried basil)
- 1/2 tsp EACH dried oregano (dried parsley)
- 3 cups water
- 12 ounces uncooked penne (about 3 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup freshly grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup freshly grated mozzarella cheese
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large nonstick, oven proof skillet or Dutch oven over medium high heat. Add meat and season with 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper and 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes. Add onions and carrots and cook until meat is browned.
- Add bell pepper and garlic and cook for 1 minute. Stir in crushed tomatoes, fire roasted tomatoes, tomato paste, chicken bouillon, sugar, and all seasonings and bring to a simmer. Simmer gently uncovered for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- After 10 minutes, stir in the water and pasta. Cover, increase heat to medium-high and cook at a vigorous simmer (you may need to decrease heat), stirring occasionally and replacing lid, just until the pasta is al dente, 12-16 minutes. Taste pasta often as reaches the end of cooking to ensure you don’t overcook your pasta.
- Stir in the cream, Parmesan, and cheddar until well combined. Top the pasta evenly with mozzarella. Transfer the skillet to the oven (on the middle rack) and broil until the cheese is melted and golden, 2-3 minutes. Let sit at least 5 minutes before serving.
- This makes wonderful leftovers – I think the flavors are even better the next day!