Meatball Parmesan – traditional meatballs smothered in a delicious marinara sauce and topped with Mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. Beautiful and delicious.
Meatballs are a staple at our house. I make them often and I make them many different ways. We simply love our meatballs. I decided to make these meatballs with ground pork but ground beef works as well or you can mix the two. As far as the recipe for these meatballs, it’s pretty much my generic meatballs recipe I use all the time, a couple eggs, some breadcrumbs, salt and pepper, an onion and some herbs. You can’t go wrong with meatballs.
Meatballs are great baked, because most of the fat from the meat is left in the pan and you end up with somewhat lean meatballs. But don’t worry about them being dry or anything, because I smothered them with this beautiful (store bought) marinara sauce I had and a bit of mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese.
- 1 1/2 lb ground pork
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp oregano dried
- 1 tsp basil dried
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/2 tsp pepper or to taste
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- Preheat oven to 375 F degrees. Spray a baking sheet with cooking oil.
- In a large bowl add ground pork, onion, eggs, breadcrumbs, oregano, basil and season with salt and pepper. Mix everything with your hands and form into 24 big meatballs. There should be enough for 24 meatballs. Place meatballs onto the baking sheet and place in the oven. Bake for about 35 to 40 minutes or until meatballs are cooked through.
- Pour half a cup of marinara sauce onto the bottom of a skillet. Arrange the meatballs in the skillet, they and top each meatball with some of the remaining marinara sauce. Cook on medium heat for about 5 minutes or until sauce is bubbly.
- Sprinkle meatballs with mozzarella and Parmesan cheese and place in the oven for another 5 minutes or until the cheese melts. Garnish with some extra basil if preferred.