Today, I’m sharing these peri peri chicken drumsticks that are the PERFECT tasty companion to all your summer grill plans! They’ve got so much flavor thanks to the fresh chicken. They will 100% be a crowd-pleaser.
Why these grilled peri peri chicken drumsticks need to be on your winter grilling menu!
The flavor! They have the best spice mixture rubbed all over. The chicken is so fresh and has a clean flavor which only helps the spices pop when you take that first and last bite.
They’re easy! It takes virtually no work on your end. The marinade is super easy to put together and you let this marinade in the refrigerator for 2-6 hours; however long. The longer the better but if you’re short on time, they will taste just as great.
If you use high quality chicken, I promise you that these will be the tastiest, juiciest, and most delectable grilled chicken dinner this winter!
I came up with this recipe because one of our favorite restaurants is a Portuguese chicken restaurant and they serve this chicken. I have always wanted to recreate it at home and I think I have finally done it justice!
Although, I’m sure the authentic Portuguese version is still better and since I can’t travel to Portugal any time soon, these grilled peri peri chicken drumsticks will have to do!
Grilled Peri Peri Chicken Drumsticks
- About 4 large chicken drumsticks
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a large plastic bag, add the chicken, olive oil, and lemon juice. Sprinkle all the seasonings on top then close the plastic bag and massage the chicken to distribute the liquid and spices. Make sure the chicken is well-coated.
- Place the plastic bag in the refrigerator and allow the chicken to marinade for at least two hours.
- Once you’re ready to cook the chicken, heat your outdoor grill on high then place your chicken on the grill and cook thoroughly, about 12-17 minutes. The time it takes to cook will be dependent on how thick your drumsticks are. Drumsticks usually take a bit longer to cook because of the bone. Use a meat thermometer to ensure doneness.
If you don’t have an outdoor grill, you can easily make this on an indoor griddle, skillet, or even in the oven. For the oven, I would bake at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes.