Warning: Chocolate lovers only!!! These thick and chewy soft batch double chocolate fudge cookies are melt-in-your-mouth amazing and full of intense chocolate fudge flavor!
Exactly two weeks ago I posted a link to my Coconut Oil Chocolate Chunk Cookie Bars on Instagram. One of my sweet readers (Hi, Lauren!) commented on the post requesting a recipe for double chocolate cookies because her little boys love them, and well, I just couldn’t say no! It’s pretty easy to convince me to get in the kitchen and bake a batch of cookies any day… and when you ask nicely, I get on it! So Lauren, these double chocolate fudge cookies are for you… and every other chocolate lover out there.
These cookies are like pure chocolate fudge!!! I based the dough off my aunt taties famous “death by chocolate cookies“, and after a few twists and tweaks, scored big! I ended up scaling down the butter to just two tablespoons! And scaling the chocolate quantity up to two full cups PLUS cocoa powder! Like I said in the beginning, these cookies truly are for chocolate lovers only ?
Tips and Tricks for Recipe Success:
- You’ll preheat your oven to 325 degrees (F), but once you pop the cookies in the oven, you’re going to immediately crank that dial down to 300! The low, longer baking time gives these cookies their crackly shell and gooey fudge interior.
- These cookies must – I repeat – MUST cool completely on the tray. I usually leave the room for a good hour before I even think about sneaking them off the tray.
- Because these cookies are so chocolate heavy, I added a good pinch of salt and vanilla the the dough. Please don’t skip these two ingredients – they make it work.
- Any chocolate chip brand will do. I know a lot of recipes say the better the chocolate; the better the results (and that is true, in a way…), but I’ve made these with everything from Godiva to Hershey’s and they all were decadent and worthy in their own way.
Final words of advice… make sure you have a milk chaser ready to pair with a plate of these cookies, and go get baking now ? xoxo
Delicious Soft Double Chocolate Fudge Cookies
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips (divided)
- 2 and 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar (packed)
- 2 large eggs (at room temperature)
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees (F). Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper, lightly spray them with non-stick spray, and set aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
- In a large, microwave safe bowl, combine one cup of the chocolate chips and the butter. Heat them in the microwave, on low power, in 15 second increments, mixing in between each, until butter and chocolate are completely melted and can easily be whisked smooth. Whisk in the vanilla, then whisk in both sugars. Beat in eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in milk.
- Add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, and stir to combine – be sure not to over mix here!
- Fold in the remaining chocolate chips, stirring until everything is just combined. (You may want to reserve a few chocolate chips to press onto the warm cookies right after they come out of the oven.)
- Scoop 1/4 cupfuls of the batter onto the prepared baking sheets. Bake one tray at a time, reducing the oven temperature to 300 degrees after you’ve put them in the oven. Bake for 16 to 19 minutes, or until the edges are set and the tops are dark and shiny. Press a few extra chocolate chunks on top of the warm cookies, if desired. Allow cookies to completely cool on the baking sheet before serving.