This decadent chocolate cream pie is a dream to make because it’s super easy. Just 12 ingredients and minimal prep! No-fuss ingredients to make this which is perfect if you are just starting out in the kitchen. This chocolate cream pie recipe will be highly requested once they get a taste.
I am going to share with you everything you need to know about how to make your own cream pie and why it will become your new go-to recipe.
WHY THIS CHOCOLATE CREAM PIE RECIPE WORKS:
- It’s simple to make, and it doesn’t matter if you have been cooking and baking for years or just starting out, because you can make this recipe.
- This chocolate cream pie recipe is rich, creamy, and decadent.
- You only need 12 ingredients, and you probably already have them in your home.
- It’s perfect for barbecues, potlucks, and picnics.
- You can substitute a food processor for a pastry cutter or two forks. Use what you have on hand to keep it simple.
HOW TO MAKE THE MOST AMAZING & ELEGANT CHOCOLATE CREAM PIE
- FIRST STEP: Put flour, salt, sugar, and butter in the food processor and pulse. Once it’s in pea-sized flakes, you can add 1 tablespoon of water at a time, then pulse. When the dough begins clumping it’s ready.NOTE: If you don’t have a food processor, no problem! Simply use a pastry cutter or 2 forks to mix together instead.
- SECOND STEP: Gently wrap the pie crust in plastic wrap and form into a disc that is 1 – 1.5 inches thick. Be careful not to knead the dough. Refrigerate for 2 hours. It can be refrigerated for up to 4 days if needed.
- THIRD STEP: Remove crust from fridge and place on a lightly floured surface. Roll it out like in the photo below until you have an 11-12 inch circle. Then carefully transfer to a 9-inch pie pan.
- FOURTH STEP: Press the crust, so it’s against the bottom of the baking pan evenly and flute the edges. Place the pie crust in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- FIFTH STEP: Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Shape the pie crust to form edges around the entire pie. I used my knuckle to create the design.
- SIXTH STEP: Remove the chilled pie crust from the freezer and line with parchment paper. It’s essential to cover the edges with parchment paper as well, so the crust doesn’t brown too quickly.Place baking beans or uncooked rice evenly on the bottom because it will keep the sides from sinking. Bake for 25 minutes and remove the beans and parchment paper. Bake for an additional 5 minutes and allow it to cool on a wire rack for 30 minutes.
- SEVENTH STEP: Prepare the filling by whisking egg yolks and cornstarch in a heatproof bowl. Set aside.
- EIGHTH STEP: Over medium-high heat, bring milk and sugar to a simmer. After it begins to simmer, turn heat to low and simmer for an additional 2 minutes.NOTE: Be sure to whisk continuously to prevent burning or sticking.
- NINTH STEP: Stir approximately 1/2 cup of the hot milk into the egg yolks so it can be slowly warmed. Then pour the egg mixture very slowly into the saucepan while whisking continuously. Cook for 1-2 minutes until the filling is thick. Stir constantly.Before you remove the saucepan from the heat it should look like in the picture below.
- TENTH STEP: Place a mesh strainer into a large heat-proof mixing bowl. Carefully pour filling into the strainer.
- ELEVENTH STEP: Whisk in the chocolate and vanilla for approximately 1-2 minutes until it is smooth.
- TWELFTH STEP: Toss in butter to combine.
- THIRTEENTH STEP: Pour pie filling into the crust and evenly spread. Place the chocolate cream pie into an airtight container and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.
- FOURTEENTH STEP: Serve with meringue or whipped cream.
- Allowing the chocolate cream pie to set up overnight will give you an even better experience.
- Whisking the filling continuously will ensure that you don’t have any lumps or overcooked filling.
If you love this chocolate cream pie recipe, you will be happy to know you can also make some substitutions as you see fit.
- replace semi-sweet chocolate chips with white chocolate chips, peanut butter chips or butterscotch chips
- use 2 tsp pure vanilla extract instead of vanilla beans
CAN YOU MAKE CHOCOLATE CREAM PIE WITH INSTANT PUDDING?
Yes, you can make a chocolate cream pie with instant pudding. While I prefer the richness and how creamy it is to make the filling homemade, you can certainly use instant pudding if you wanted to.
Simply make the pudding as directed and put it in the baked pie crust. You will still need to refrigerate for 4 hours before serving to allow it to set up correctly.
HOW TO ADD ADDITIONAL FLAVORS TO THE BEST CHOCOLATE CREAM PIE
Whether you want to sprinkle on top or fold into the filling when it’s finished, you can enhance the flavors with these ingredients.
- 1/4 cup (32grams) chocolate shavings
- 1/2 cup (64 grams) mini Chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup (32 grams) toasted coconut
WHAT CAN I SUBSTITUTE FOR CORNSTARCH
If you aren’t able to use cornstarch, then you can certainly substitute it for something else. Some good choices to try are arrowroot, tapioca starch, rice flour, and potato starch.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS
CAN I MAKE MINI CREAM PIES?
Yes, absolutely you can make mini cream pies. The difference is going to be you will want to bake the crust in mini pie pans or ramekins instead of a regular sized pie dish.
You will also need to cut back on the baking time to 15 minutes because they will cook pretty fast. Keep a close watch, so they don’t burn.
After the crust cools, put in the filling and refrigerate for 4 hours.
HOW TO TELL IF PIE IS BAD
A cream pie will be pretty obvious when it is starting to go bad. You will notice that it smells off and that the chocolate cream pie is overly moist or really dry. There may also be mold that has developed. If you notice any of these things, you will want to throw it out because bacteria is multiplying at this stage.
HOW TO STORE THIS CHOCOLATE CREAM PIE
To store chocolate pie, you will need to keep it in the refrigerator. Make sure it is tightly covered, so it doesn’t take on the flavors of other food in the fridge. You can use an airtight glass or plastic container. It will last around 3 days in the refrigerator.
HOW TO FREEZE THIS CHOCOLATE CREAM PIE RECIPE
You can freeze chocolate cream pie by first flash freezing it. Set it in the freezer for approximately an hour, so it is set up well. Then cover with plastic wrap or aluminum foil and place inside of a freezer safe storage container. Make sure it’s airtight, so it doesn’t get freezer burn or go bad too quickly.
When you are ready to serve, you can place it on the counter for a few minutes until it thaws or place in the fridge overnight.