I just made these amazing Chicken Thighs with Creamy Mushroom Sauce – a super easy recipe – perfect for busy weeknights! It takes only 35 minutes from start to finish, and you’ll love moist and juicy chicken thighs (with crispy skin!) infused with herbal flavors in a creamy deliciousness!
I’ve made 2 small changes. First, I doubled the creamy sauce. And, second, I made this recipe gluten free by using gluten free flour (the recipe calls for only 1 tablespoon of flour).
The recipe is made in just a few simple steps. First, brown the chicken thighs, the skin side down, in a skillet, until golden brown:
Then, remove the chicken from the skillet, and cook the mushrooms, in the same skillet:
Add the rest of the ingredients to the mushrooms to make the delicious creamy sauce (while the chicken thighs are baked in the oven):
Spoon the sauce over the chicken (after it’s been completely cooked through in the oven), and your dish is ready!
– I used only 4 chicken thighs and kept the amounts of the sauce ingredients the same. So, if I were to make 8 chicken thighs, I would double the sauce!
– When it was time to bake the chicken, I transferred chicken thighs to foil-lined baking pan and baked the chicken like that (not in the skillet). In the mean time, while chicken was baking in the oven, I made the mushroom sauce in the same skillet where I first browned the chicken – it definitely saved me a lot of time, and made it a truly 30-minute dinner!
– Finally, I made this recipe gluten free by using gluten free flour (the recipe calls for only 1 tablespoon of flour – the flour is needed just to thicken the sauce).
Chicken Thighs with Creamy Mushroom Sauce
- chicken thighs (about 4 pounds, skin on)
- teaspoon kosher salt
- teaspoon black pepper
- tablespoons snipped fresh rosemary
- tablespoons snipped fresh thyme
- tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ounces fresh button or cremini mushrooms (halved and/or quartered)
- tablespoon all-purpose flour
- cup chicken broth
- cup dry white wine or chicken broth
- tablespoons Dijon-style mustard
- tablespoon snipped flat-leaf Italian parsley
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Season chicken on both sides with salt, pepper, 1 tablespoon of the rosemary, and 1 tablespoon of the thyme. Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a 12-inch cast iron skillet or very large oven-going skillet. Add chicken, skin side down, to the hot oil and cook for 5 to 7 minutes until browned on one side. Turn chicken pieces over and place skillet into the oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until done (at least 170 degrees F).
- Remove chicken from skillet and set aside. Add mushrooms to skillet and turn heat to medium-high; cook stirring occasionally for 4 minutes. Add flour to skillet, stirring to coat. Stir in chicken broth, wine, and mustard. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir 1 minute more. Remove skillet from heat and add remaining rosemary, thyme, and parsley. Serve mushrooms sauce over chicken.