I love chicken salads, and one of my most favourite ones is a chicken taco salad with lots of vegetables, crushed tortilla chips, creamy Ranch dressing (or a healthier, Greek yogurt based dressing), served with sour cream and salsa on the side! This salad has everything: protein, carbs, veggies, fibre – it’s a complete dinner meal which will leave you happy and satisfied!
First, cook the chicken: Sprinkle both sides of two chicken breasts with whatever seasoning mix you like. I did a mix of cumin, spicy seasoned salt, and cayenne, but any all seasoning will do. Cook the chicken on both sides until the outside is super golden and yummy-looking and the inside is done. And dice it into cubes. Toss them all around together so all the seasoning gets all over the place and it’s nice and messy.
Messy usually equals yummy, after all.
To build the big ol’ salad, heap the shredded lettuce on a platter or in a bowl and sprinkle the cubed chicken all over the top.
Finally, a sprinkling of crushed chips and a drizzle of dressing all over the top.
What a salad!
This platter will feed an army of salad lovers, of which I am one.
Serve more crushed chips on the side so everyone can pile on as much as they want.
Pile it in individual bowls or on plates.
This is the entire package: Colour, crunch, flavour. So much going on!
Either way, the salad is delicious, flavourful, just a pure comfort food.
- FOR THE DRESSING:
- 3/4 cups Ranch Dressing (bottled Is Fine)
- 1/4 cup Salsa (as Spicy As You'd Like)
- 3 Tablespoons Finely Minced Cilantro
- 2 whole Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 2 Tablespoons Seasoning (taco Seasoning, Or Your Own Mix)
- 1/4 cup Vegetable Oil
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 1 head Green Leaf Lettuce (1 Large Head Or Two Regular Heads), Shredded Thin
- 3 whole Roma Tomatoes, Diced
- 1/2 cup Grated Pepper Jack Cheese
- 2 ears Corn, Shucked
- 2 whole Avocados, Diced
- 3 whole Green Onions, Sliced
- 1/2 cup Cilantro Leaves
- Tortilla Chips Of Your Choice (flavored Or Not), Crushed Slightly
- First, make the dressing by combining all the ingredients in a bowl and stirring together. Cover and refrigerate.
- Next, make the chicken: Generously season both sides of the breasts. Heat the oil and butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the chicken on both sides until deep golden brown on the outside and done in the middle, about 4 minutes per side. Remove and set aside to cool for 10 minutes, then cut it into cubes.
- Place the ears of corn in the skillet you used to cook the chicken and roll it around so that the flavorful oil/butter mixture coats the corn. Grill it on a grill pan or cook it in a separate skillet until the corn is still crisp but has color on the outside. Slice off the kernels with a sharp knife and set aside.
- To assemble the salad, pile shredded lettuce, chicken, tomatoes, cheese, corn, avocado, green onion, cilantro, and crushed chips on a big platter. Drizzle the dressing all over the top, serving part on the side if you'd like.
- Serve it in individual bowls.