Any mention of Chicken Taco salad fills the mind with numerous fond memories of childhood.
Whenever the flavours of taco and chicken filled the air I knew there was a treat waiting.
Generally the chicken taco salads found in most dinning and parties are filled with fatty sauces and too much of cheese to make it more appealing to the dinners. But that is not the ideal diet salad, is it? I am more of a traditionalist in these matters.
I prefer lots of green with juicy cooked/grilled chicken along with tasty crunchy tacos corn and everything fresh and nutritious you can muster. It is a flexible recipe where you can add or remove anything as per your taste and liking.
One can always add other veggies like jalapenos, bell peppers, red onions, olives, etc. Just toss them all in and you are all set a great meal to rejuvenate your stomach and soul.
It is a quick and easy meal great for brunch, lunch or dinners. Takes just about 20 mins – 30 mins, is ideal for office goers and all fitness cautious people.
Deliciously Loaded Chicken Taco Salad With Yum Cheesy Toppings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
Category: Healthy Meal
Cuisine: Mexican and American
Serving Size: 2-4 servings
A meal that is healthy, nutritious, tasty and satisfying, is the best. Juicy chicken served with delicious and crunchy tacos and healthy veggies like tomatoes, corn, olives avocado and lots of greens of your choice. Also added with tasty cheese and tortilla chips. A perfect mixture of texture and flavor in every bite. A delicious treat which is flexible for you to make as you wish, sounds definitely like the meal of your dream.
Make it mild, spicy or tart and enjoy a satisfying meal with your closed ones. A salad which is more than a treat for any who try it for brunch, lunch or dinner.
• one 1.25-ounce packet taco seasoning, divided (I use reduced sodium, medium heat)
• 4 cups romaine lettuce
• 1 or 2 medium tomatoes, diced (I use vine-ripened; Roma or cherry tomatoes may be substituted)
• 1/2 cup canned corn, drained (fresh/frozen may be substituted)
• 1 medium Hass avocado, peeled and diced
• 1 cup shredded cheese (I use a monterey Jack and cheddar blend)
• 1 cup seasoned tortilla chips, crushed (I crush Doritos in my palm)
• 1/2 cup mayonnaise (lite okay)
• 1/4 cup sour cream (lite okay, plain Greek yogurt may be substituted)
• 3 to 4 tablespoons lime juice, or as necessary for flavor and consistency
• 1/4 cup cilantro leaves, minced
• 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar, optional and to taste
1. In a pan add olive oil and let it heat, then add diced chicken breast and start to fry. Sprinkle with 1 heaping tablespoon taco seasoning, and cook over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes, flipping intermittently so all sides cook evenly. Cooking time will vary based on thickness of chicken breasts and sizes of pieces. Allow chicken to rest in pan off the heat while you assemble the salad.
2. To a large platter, add the lettuce, and evenly sprinkle with the tomatoes, corn, black beans, avocado, cheese, tortilla chips, and chicken; set aside.
3. To a small bowl, add the mayo, sour cream, lime juice, 1 heaping tablespoon taco seasoning, and whisk to combine.
4. Add the cilantro and stir to incorporate. Add additional lime juice to thin out dressing if desired.
5. Taste dressing and depending on how much lime juice was used, add sugar to taste. Evenly drizzle dressing over salad. Extra dressing will keep airtight for up to 5 days in the fridge and makes a great veggie dip.